Flash/QuickTime interaction with Revolution

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Thu Sep 16 13:49:02 EDT 2004

Stephen,

> Hence the start of this thread. It sounds like we may have to drop some of
> the more ambitious graphic ideas.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER drop any ambitious idea, especially
graphic ones, and especially realtime 3D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott, Trevor,

> It wasn't me who posted originally but I did play around with the
> concept after reading that post.  This is the code I have in the
> concept stack I made based on the post.  If I remember correctly I was
> using this with the Flash XML object using sockets.

I just can't believe you can even think of opening sockets between
Flash & Rev to display 3D graphics...

openGL + Rev IS the way to go. openGL runs on any platform, just
like Rev. Of course, there's no openGL external. But as discussed
previously on this list, the idea of an openGL external is a dead end.
I've spent weeks trying to build one, and the only thing I came to
was headaches.
The solution is much simpler : it consists of a simple & straightforward
interface between Rev & openGL. openGL renders in a buffer, so the
trick is to grab the content of that buffer and display it inside an image
control in Rev. I did that almost 2 years ago, after checking the C code
for the external (that was MC 2.4.1 back then, but I think the updated
external code for Rev is basically the same). That code needs only some
very minor tuning to achieve this.
Then hire the service of a C programer with 3D / openGL knowledge,
and there you go. Furthermore, there is a huge amount of openGL
tutorials and source code freely available online so you can hope to
teach yourself...

JB