Flash/QuickTime interaction with Revolution

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Sep 16 12:00:19 EDT 2004

Recently, Van Esch, Stephen (Bolton) wrote:

> as a complete newbie, would anyone
> consider the following possible with Rev:
>
> A 3D wireframe graphic of a machine. The user could zoom into different
> parts of the machine. The user could rotate the machine 360 degrees. The
> user could add and remove machine parts to the graphic by clicking a list of
> parts. The user could click on parts of the machine and detailed information
> would appear in a field.
>
> From the information you've given me so far, I don't think the zooming will
> be possible because there is no vector graphic support.
>
> Are there any examples of this type of interactivity?

The above is possible do without Flash if:

1) you can live with aliased (non-smooth) lines

2) you have the ability to generate the vector frames yourself

You can view an example using our panel stack by entering the following in
your message box:

  go url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/tmpanel.rev"

See the example called "Tutti 3D" (228k).  An explanation is provided in the
stack.

(BTW, many months ago, some kind soul on the list sent me a file that
demonstrates communication between Flash and Rev using sockets.  For the
life of me, I can't find the sample nor do I recall the person who sent the
example so if this person is reading now, perhaps you can step out of the
shadows and reveal yourself? :-)

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director