Native OS Support [was Re: printRotated on Mac?]

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Thu Sep 16 22:41:10 EDT 2004

>>>I know it's a little off-topic, but every time I see a request like
>>>this I am reminded of how many feature requests would be unnecessary if
>>>RunRev supported a way to call the native OS toolboxes.
>>

>>[snip]

Quite a few, in my estimation.  I have suggested several times that
support for a compiler symbol table to type variables, define &
populate record structures, and identify OS calling syntax would
allow savvy developers to do for themselves what they might otherwise
need to request from RunRev

>>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this can be done
>>via externals...

Externals are, well, EXTERNAL solutions requiring a second compiler
and learning a different language syntax.  In my opinion, a native
Transcript solution would be MUCH preferable to reliance on externals.
--
Rob Cozens, Staff Conservator
Mendonoma Marine Life Conservancy

"...three factors have forever altered the traditional ''freedoms''
  coincident with the hunter-gatherer way of life:

  * swift population increase...,
  * the rapid advance of technology, and, most influential &...dangerous of all,
  * a perverse, self-centered mind-set that shapes the character of
many human actions"

Sylvia A. Earle, in Sea Change