Https

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Sep 13 11:40:51 EDT 2004

On 13 Sep 2004, at 14:59, Frank Leahy wrote:

> What about the switch being on a per request basis, i.e. not a global?

If it could be set as a parameter to a "get url" call then it would
probably be a good idea. But the "get" syntax is fixed by the engine,
so there's not much I can do about that.

So two commands would always be needed:

   liburlSetSSLVerification false
   get url "https://whatever"

I don't think there is any precedent for resetting a property that has
been set by a user, and I'd be reluctant to do it here. I can also
imagine cases where there might be unexpected results. For example, if
someone has a library they use for url calls that always repeats calls
up to n times to account for network errors, they would have to change
the library to ensure the verification was switched off in those
repeated calls.

However, you've reminded me of something that makes implementation a
little trickier than I thought. When using "load url", the requests can
be queued by libUrl before they are actually written to the server.
Because the property could be reset between the time of the load
command and the time the request is made to the server, the state of
the property at the time of the load command will have to be stored for
each url request. (Something similar is done now for the httpHeaders
property.)

> Do envision adding this feature to libURL in the near future?

Real soon now, but see my response to Troy's mail.

Cheers
Dave