inheritance

diskot123 at juno.com diskot123 at juno.com
Sun Sep 12 20:22:25 EDT 2004

This reminds me of a rehash of the the C vs C++ debate on the carbon-list
currently. You can technically do anything you can do in C++ with C. I recently

had to work on a VB.NET project and it was a bit different then the VB I
remember, was it better, not really, some things were actually more confusing
just different. Some VB developers feel abandoned.. I find working in Rev more
productive for GUI apps then working in C++, or Java, you get immediate
results.

Should advancing the language and integrating OOP features be a goal,
definitely. It useful for large projects which involve multiple developers,
which are not currently Rev forte, but it may be the chicken and egg sort of
thing. But I don't see a feature request or a suggested spec for it anywhere...

Implementing it however, should not come at expense of implementing features
that are some blockers for projects and there is still a lot of design work
which needs to be done. From our recent debates on the improve list it seems
that people don't want real OO necessarily, but some sort of inheritance and the

ability to *reuse controls* or scripts. Parentscripts, or a backscript which
distinguishes between objects by properties, should get you most of that.

Best,
Tuviah