Display a simple stack.

Gordon Tillman got at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 12 11:55:49 EDT 2004

Hi Ryno,

On Sep 12, 2004, at 10:49, Ryno Swart wrote:

> For my little School Yearbook project, I am developing a stack
> measuring 800 x 600 pixels. When I tested it at the school though,
> often the stack would not fit into the monitor display, particularly
> frustrating as I then lose my set of buttons along the top edge of the
> card, and parents would not be able to simply exit. It is a simple
> matter for the user to reset the screen resolution, but many would not
> know how (I am thinking of Windows here)

I know that for the current bunch of applications that we are writing
for our company, we have set 800 X 600 as the minimum monitor
resolution.  But you have to remember that you do not have the full 600
pixels height available, unless you take over the entire screen (which
is usually considered to be bad behavior for an application, with the
possible exception of games).

If I remember correctly, we usually allow for about 40 pixels or so for
the height of the task bar at the bottom, and so any windows we design
we keep to a max height of about 560 pixels.  As far as the width, we
usually use a max width of about 700 pixels.  That way if folks have a
dock on the left or right side of the screen (Mac OS X), we allow space
for that as well.

--gordy