Externals in OS X

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Wed Sep 8 10:06:09 EDT 2004

Are you using the library, not the database query builder?  Then right,
the ID number is only valid after a connection is opened with that
running instance of the program.  A new connection needs to be reopened
by *each* *instance* of your IDE or standalone, and the ID number may
or may not be the same between them.  The connection is only "visible"
within a running copy of the IDE or standalone.  Opening a connection
from 2.2 will not open that connection from 2.5 -- even if you have
both IDEs running at the same time.  You have to open the connection
within 2.5 if you want to use it from 2.5, and quitting the IDE closes
the connection, so you would need to open it again each time you start
the IDE (or your standalone), and the ID number may be different.

I have had no problems working with PostgreSQL from Rev 2.2.1 and OS X
(X.3 now, but X.2 previously), except in dealing with blobs (which is
bugzilla'd, of course...)  I generally set things up like this:

In the stack script's preOpenStack handler, a login button's mouseUp
handler, or whatever:

set the database of this stack to revOpenDatabase("PostgreSQL",
"localhost", "myDatabase", "myUsername", "myPassword")

(after obvious substitutions)

When closing the stack, logging out, or whatever:

revCloseDatabase the database of this stack

When querying the database:

put revQueryDatabase(the database of this stack, "SELECT * FROM
myTable") into q

And so on.

Signup at www.doteasy.com