Mac Classic Apps Run Under OS X but Not On Native Classic

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 03:55:26 EDT 2004

--- "Jeanne A. E. DeVoto" <revolution at jaedworks.com>
wrote:
> At 9:50 PM -0700 9/5/2004, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> >What's needed is a function added to the engine to
> let us know
> >whether we're native or under OS X when running OS
> 9 and earlier.
> >
> >What should it be called, and who wants to add it
> to Bugzilla?
>
> My vote is to modify the platform function so it
> returns one of:
>
>    MacOS -- Mac OS only
>    Classic -- Mac OS running under OS X in the
> classic layer
>    OSX -- OS X
>    Win32 -- windows
>    -- the various Unix platforms
>
> [snip]
> --
> jeanne a. e. devoto

Hi Jeanne,

Allow me to agree wiht you in priciple but propose
sightly diferent contents :
- MacOS : the good old pre-OS X thing
- MacOS Classic : the compatibility environment
- MacOS X : the operating system of the future
- ...

This way, if you want to check for something that can
happen on a Mac, regardless of the OS version (such as
the use of an AppleScript), all you have to do is :
  if the platform contains "MacOS" then ...

Just my two euro-cents,

Jan Schenkel.

=====