It's Time to Fix This Installation Stuff, Guys

Kevin Miller kevin at runrev.com
Wed Sep 8 03:06:57 EDT 2004

On 8/9/04 1:15 am, "Dan Shafer" <revdan at danshafer.com> wrote:

> I realize RunRev has limited resources.
>
> I realize that there are probably higher priorities.
>
> But, really, guys, how hard would it be to finally fix the installation
> process so it was smooth? I am so tired of downloading a new version
> (latest incident was the Build 2 of 2.5), then having to copy all my
> Plug-ins and other stuff over to the new app folder (which is a pain
> but perhaps difficult to automate). But what *really* bugs me is having
> to re-register the product and reset my preferences every time I
> upgrade or do a reinstall (especially since reinstalling has become a
> multiple-times-per-week chore since I started pushing the envelope a
> bit).
>
> Isn't this really a matter of storing some of this information like
> prefs and license key in a folder that doesn't get overwritten by a new
> installation? How hard can that be?
>
> If I required my customers to go through these kinds of hoops every
> time I upgraded their software, they'd tar and feather me.

If you didn't have one of the problems listed in the announcement, you don't
need to download this build.  We will be making the upgrade process
smoother, right now the emphasis has been on stability and quick delivery of
any necessary fixes.  But the auto-updater component has already been built
and its only a matter of a little more time before we deploy it.  We'd
rather have time to test it and make sure that when we introduce this it
doesn't lead to problems in itself.

Kevin

Kevin Miller ~ kevin at runrev.com ~ http://www.runrev.com/
Runtime Revolution - User-Centric Development Tools