[OT] Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Tue Sep 7 18:09:47 EDT 2004

There is some middle ground of truth here. Public education is
certainly not a lucrative market _in general_ as compared to dealing
with the private sector. There are a few exceptions and a small handful
of companies that pull in 90% of the revenue, because as you mentioned
before, deals are often cut at the state (or even national level). In
addition, budgets come and go and are at the mercy of politics.

The vast majority of companies competing in the SIS / testing business
either fold or generate meager profits. A few are doing very well. I
know this is not so different from many other industries, but it is an
accurate description of this one. For example, there is an XML-based
data exchange standard, SIF, for use in integrating SIS and other
systems. In order to participate in an SIF setup, a school must
purchase a compliant ZIS- "Zone Integration Server". There is currently
1 vendor offering that, and they also have their own compliant
products. I know of only one other vendor contemplating their own
implementation, mostly due to the cost of doing so.

Also note that we get into serious apples vs oranges if we compare
regular software licensing (i.e. Windows licenses for the lab) with
software written for and only for schools.

There is a bounty there, but it's a very tough market.

- Brian