CGI Problem Solved [was Re: CGI Fiction Search Example]

Gregory Lypny gregory.lypny at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 6 14:35:03 EDT 2004

Hello Rick,

I haven't tried it yet, but my gut feel on tokens is that they
shouldn't be any more cumbersome than in FileMaker.  In FM, if you
haven't assigned user names and passwords to your clients, you have to
use tokens to track them, and that means inserting a token tag in every
html page they might visit.  I figure that tokens can be handled in
Revolution through a log-in or sign up stack that has some personal
identification, such as a serial number that can be passed to each
page.

My disappointment with FM, as I've expressed previously on this list,
is that it is expensive (I can't afford to dish out another $1,500, or
whatever the amount, to upgrade from Unlimited to Server Advanced) and,
more importantly, the inflexibility of its scripting.  I've been
tinkering with 4D and finding it quite powerful, but also discovering
that the learning curve is steeper than it ought to be.  I always find
myself coming back to Revolution or MetaCard.  I'll let you know when
I've completed my first web-based Revolution project.  Perhaps some of
you may want to critique it.

While I'm here, I do have another question for anyone out there with
Revolution cgi experience, and this concerns the speed with which a
Revolution cgi returns a result the first time it is called by a
client.  My first search of Fiction Search takes a long time, say,
thirty seconds, to return a page of hits.  Subsequent searches are
completed in the blink of an eye.  Is this a client-side or server-side
thing?  In other words, will all visitors to my projects experience a
potentially confusing slow first response, or is it just a matter of me
somehow priming or loading the Revolution engine into memory on my
server in advance, so that it's ready for visitors?

	Gregory
	Associate Professor of Finance
	John Molson School of Business
	Concordia University