Copying Menus

James Spencer jspencer78 at mac.com
Mon Sep 6 13:04:16 EDT 2004

It strikes me that this should be easy but I'm a dolt and can't figure
it out.  Nor can I find anything in the "documentation" (one more voice
in the wilderness: the documentation is great for looking up specific
Transcript elements but stinks for figuring out how to use the
development environment).

I have a project based on three related stacks (at this point, they are
arranged as a main stack and two substacks in a single file) which is
intended to run exclusively under OS X (which matters only because the
menus are intended to only be at the top of the screen and no space has
been left in any of the stacks for a menu bar on the card).  All three
have related but slightly different menus.  What I would like to do is,
  having developed my menus for the main stack,  to be able to copy that
menubar group from the main stack to the other two stacks where I want
to be able to edit them without having to recreate the menus and their
scripts from scratch for each substack.

I can copy the main stack's group by temporarily making it a windows
style menu (on the card) selecting the group and copying it and then
restoring the main stack's menu to the top of the screen.  I can then
paste this into the substack but, of course, it appears on the card and
when I set it to be at the top of the screen,  Rev moves my content up.
  Problem, of course is that I didn't forsee a problem in copying the
menu bar so I didn't leave space at the top of the card and I'm losing
part of my content.  I've tried variations of this some of which at
least show the menus but Menu Builder won't edit them.

I thought I might be able to copy and pasting the original menu bar
group from the Application Browser but this doesn't seem to be
permitted: when I paste the group, regardless of what is selected and
displayed in the Browser, a second copy of the group is placed in the
original stack.

Am I overlooking something obvious or does anyone have any suggestions?

James P. Spencer
Rochester, MN

jspencer78 at charter.net

"Badges??  We don't need no stinkin badges!"