Who is chuck yeager? (OT)

Ken Norris (dialup) pixelbird at interisland.net
Sat Sep 4 18:19:06 EDT 2004

Hi Eric,

> Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:22:52 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Eric Engle <engleerica at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Who is chuck yeager? (OT)
>
> The jet you are refering to is the Me-262 (messerschmitt): it was not the only
> high speed jet aircraft, however it was the most reliable and produced in the
> greatest quantity.
>
> In fact, it was also the first jet to break the speed of sound.
> The first few pilots who had the misfortune to do so however were unable to
> recover control of their aircraft.

> Consequently, the german air force strictly forbade flying the 262 beyond
> certain speeds - also because high speed flight induced metal fatigue.
> However Hans Guido Mutke did break the speed of sound and survived to tell the
> tale.
>
> Here http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schallmauer

I'd love to read it. Is it available in English?

I guess it's a control issue, like with the Wright Bros. They weren't the
first to fly a heavier-than-air powered aircraft, but they were the first to
be able to control one in sustained flight.

Just for fun: The Wright Bros. were credited with another important, albeit
less notable, invention. What was it?

Ken N.