Why 7Mb. [Was: Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"]

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Fri Sep 3 16:30:17 EDT 2004

What might be the idea behind the renaming of Express to Dreamcard and
at the same time changing some of the conditions of use?

Seems to be in a similar category like the naming of "Revolution", which
could be understood as a goal to be reached somewhere in the future and
as sort of a promise that its developers want to reach as soon as
possible, but at present are still prevented to reach because of a
number of self-inflicted obstacles coming up in the course of struggling
with principles of design and strategies of programming. Hopefully they
- and we - will get there eventually - supported by engaged discussions
about "bugs", use of the IDE, education etc. etc. going on on this list.

"Dreamcard" is probably supposed to conjure up a feeling that this
product can be used in a "dream-like" way, as a solution to programming
problems you have always dreamed about and wanted to have. I indeed hope
there will be such a product in the future.

At present - in its very first initial stage of development (the
development will hopefully progress very fast) - "Dreamcard" is just
"Revolution" minus some - not altogether unimportant - features and an
oversized seven and a half megabyte Dreamcard Player as a necessary
add-on (7.4 MB on Windows).

I am confident that it is possible to build a much smaller "player" -
and that anybody in possession of a Revolution or Metacard version that
allows standalones would be able to build a small player (for the
Dreamcard users) in a couple of minutes or at most in half an hour.

I repeat here my post that addressed such issues, which I sent on
Wednesday, Sept 1, under subject "Dreamcard Player" and which got
somewhat lost in the turmoil of the Dreamcard discussion on the list: