Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

j runrev at davidjdowns.com
Fri Sep 3 07:48:43 EDT 2004

On Sep 2, 2004, at 10:59 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> A company buys one tool, not millions of chips.

A company buys a million licenses for each tool.

> I think this part of the discussion is being largely driven by people
> in the education marketplace. And I respect their right to their
> opinions in the spaces they know. But overall, that market is
> minuscule and all but insignificant to software development tool
> companies for a whole host of reasons.

To my knowledge, no xCard was ever adopted by Microsoft for software
development.  In fact, the number of reputable, established companies
using any xCard to develop software is "miniscule and all but
insignificant."  Education is the largest market Rev—or HyperCard,
etc.—will ever serve and hope to make large inroads.

There are a whole host of reasons for this.  Exactly *because* xCards
are not established in higher education markets, xCards are not seen as
professional development tools and, therefore, will lose to the tools
being promoted in higher ed every time: C, Java, etc.  This is unlikely
to change.  HyperCard was released more than 15 years ago.  If higher
ed and "industry" software developers haven't seen the benefits by now,
they aren't going to.

Additionally, I'm sorry Dan, but K–12 is a *gigantic* marketplace,
worldwide.  Do McGraw-Hill look like they are going out of business any
time soon?  Add to this the fact that there is currently NO education
"industry standard" for teaching students to program, yet the emphasis
on student computer literacy is higher than ever.  The company that
corners this market is going to walk away filthy rich.

To win this market, however, Rev needs to win over the people who make
the decision to buy education licenses: teachers, administrators,
students, and parents.  By and large, these people don't spend money
without lots of investigation.  More than 10 hours, for instance.

J.