Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Fri Sep 3 02:36:52 EDT 2004

Keith,

Sorry to hear you say this. But of course you have your reasons.

FYI,

My understanding is that both the Dreamcard and Revolution demos are
exactly the same with the following exceptions:

1) Dreamcard has a 10-hour trial limit; Rev has a 30-day trial limit
2) Dreamcard has a 'Dreamcard' splash screen on startup, whereas Rev has
a 'Revolution' splash screen on startup

Other than that, they are identical. Now, if you were to purchase Rev,
then you can build your own standalones (kinda like SuperCard), whereas
if you purchase the less expensive Dreamcard, you'll need to bundle the
player (kinda like HyperCard). But, you can always upgrade from
Dreamcard to Revolution if you want to make a standalone of your
Dreamcard stack.

There are probably many reasons for creating the new Dreamcard product.
As a professional user, I am happy RR has decided to separate the two
products as IMO, there are both pluses and minuses for a product like
Dreamcard. Plus: Easy to use and get started with, recognizable 'card'
metaphor with Apple folks. Minus: Association with Hypercard and poorly
designed stacks can create a 'stigma' for professional developers (this
happened with my previous company and Director a few years ago).

In anycase, there are two products, but one IDE. While RealBasic is a
fine programming environment, there are many here with RB experience who
prefer RR. In fact, Andre Garzia is an experienced RB users and a big
proponent of RR. I suggest you consider contacting him for some
comparison questions. Also, Geoff Canyon created a RB/RR wiki a year or
so ago which may lend further insight (anyone know a link). If you have
any other questions, please ask :-)

best,

Chipp Walters
Altuit, Inc.