LittleArrows Problem

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Thu Sep 2 13:50:42 EDT 2004

At 10:38 02/09/2004 -0600, Arthur Urban wrote:

> > Maybe it's just late, but there seems to be a problem with
> > LittleArrows. Whenever I click on the up portion of the
> > control, the current value is decreased, and clicking in the
> > down portion increases the thumb value. This seems very
> > non-intuitive. Just me?
>
>I'm surprised nobody had anything to say about this. Anybody at Revolution
>want to give it a go?

I've had a try (though I'm not at Revolution).

I see the same effect - but I don't think it's wrong (though I agree it's
counter-intuitive).

I *think* this is because it's a scrollbar - and if you picture these
Little Arrows moving your position within a "virtual document" (i.e. like
the up-arrow and down-arrow at the top and bottom of a regular scrollbar),
then this would be the correct direction for the value-change of the
"thumbposition".

>I've also discovered some other interesting math "behaviour" in regards to
>LittleArrows. If I do this in a script (to fix the above bug), I get
>incorrect results:
>
>     put -(the thumbPosition of me)
>
>If the thumbPosition happens to be at -6, I get 6.001984 instead of 6. This
>is quite surprising, but I'm glad I haven't spent the $300 yet...

Not sure about this - I suspect that once you put the value into an
expression, it will be evaluated and printed to full decimal places, wheres
when used as a value on its own, suitable rounding is applied
automatically. But that's only a guess without seeing more context (and,
probably, knowing more than I do about RunRev).

-- Alex.