Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer" ?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Wed Sep 1 13:35:05 EDT 2004

I think there is a bit of blurring here but maybe it's just my eyesight.

10 hours is not nearly enough to learn Dreamcard.

But 10 hours seems to me to be a generous amount of time to decide
whether to part with what is after all a small amount of money even if
you opt for the big package deal. The videos that come with Dreamcard
would take 2-3 hours to watch. The total running time of included
videos is about 90 minutes. And they cover a good bit of ground. And
each one has an accompanying PDF file the user who learns better that
way can print out and read.

Then of course there's the online documentation. Just opening the FAQ
and browsing a bit would lead an interested user to a fair amount of
useful information. (It would be helpful if there was a roadmap file in
the box; I don't know if there is or not since I haven't downloaded
Dreamcard myself.)

Remembering that the audience for Dreamcard is hobbyists and newbies,
they're likely to spend a couple of hours a night for a week or a few
hours each day on a weekend looking over the product before deciding
whether to plunk down $99.

One more thing. An arbitrary review period measured in ACTUAL time of
usage rather than some number of days passing is, IMNSHO, a very smart
and helpful thing. I can't tell you how many trial programs I've
downloaded, looked at, figured they were worth a deeper look, and went
back to some period of time later only to find that not only had the
demo expired without my having time to get to know the product, but
downloading a new time-limited demo wasn't feasible because of the way
the publisher handled the lockout.

With Dreamcard, you could, e.g., open the product, watch a video or
two, download the PDFs, then quit Rev, print out the PDFs and go read
them at your leisure. Come back some arbitrary time later and try
another video or even poke at building something that was described in
one of the PDFs.

Ten may not turn out to be the right number, but the approach seems to
me to be very wise. I congratulate RunRev for this decision and predict
it will pay large dividends.

But, as I say, I'm an old codger so maybe the blurring is all in my
mind.

heh heh