Using revDB with DSN-less ODBC connections on MacOS X?

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Wed Sep 1 06:40:55 EDT 2004

Has anyone succesfully used revDB to connect to an ODBC data source on MacOS
X without a DSN, using just a connection string?

Ken Ray kindly sent me a sample which suggested it should at least be
possible on Windows, replacing the DSN in the call with a connection string
of the form eg
    DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=C:\test.mdb;

But all the plausible strings I try to construct on MacOS X fail with the
message
    [iODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default
    driver specified. Driver could not be loaded.

I'm using the OpenLink SQL Server driver.  I'm copying text out of the
ODBC.ini file for DSNs that are known working, and I've tried both using the
driver name, eg
    DRIVER={OpenLink SQL Server Lite Driver}

and the path, eg
    DRIVER={/Library/ODBC/OpenLink SQL Server Lite ODBC
            Driver.bundle/Contents/MacOS/sql_st_lt.so};

but I get the same message each time.

Has anyone else succeeded (or tried and failed) to do this on MacOS X?

Is there some peculiarity of iODBC on MacOS X which means DSN's less
connections can't be used here, although they can on Windows?

Is it possible that the message is just misleading, and that one or other
formulation for driver was actually working, but it was failing on some
other part of the connection string?

Answers to any of the above gratefully received,

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866