dragging 2 windows in synch

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 1 01:00:32 EDT 2004

Ken Ray wrote:

> On 8/31/04 9:34 PM, "Scott Morrow" <scott at elementarysoftware.com> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>Is there a technique to maintain the relative location of a secondary
>>stack while dragging the primary stack.  I'm not looking to just update
>>the window location after the move has completed but to visually  drag
>>it along with the window that the user is moving.  I'm building
>>routines for simulating drawer behaviors outside of OSX.
>

> Well, if it's for OS 9, you're probably out of luck unless you make your own
> custom windows and your own drag regions. The reason is that the moveStack
> message isn't sent until *after* you release the mouse on the Mac. Now if
> this is for Windows, moveStack and resizeStack are sent continually so you
> could probably get away with something like:
>
> on moveWindow
>   set the topLeft of stack "Secondary" to the topRight of this stack
> end moveWindow

It may be simpler and more consistent with the UI expectations for your
  users to just use a collapsable panel with a disclosure triangle
instead.  In most cases where an OS X drawer would work a collapsable
panel will work just as well, and the convention is universally accepted
on all modern platforms (even OS X).

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation