Unicode and Menus

ron barber rbarber at yhb.att.ne.jp
Tue Oct 26 10:06:25 EDT 2004

Hi Kenji,

On Oct 25, 2004, at 10:46 PM, Kenji Kojima wrote:

>> 1. The problem with menu history is that it is not recommended for
>> cascading menus.
>
> I could get items by this.
>
> on menuPick pWhich
>   set the unicodeText of fld 1 to pWhich
> end menuPick

I don't think I understand what you mean.
I have a cascading menu which has contents that change. So the number
of the menuitems (menuhistory) changes. That means that I must have the
text value of the menupick. If I have a menu called 検索 how can I check
for it in a script?

on menupick pwhich
switch pwhich
case "検索"
do something
break
case "other"
do something else
break
end switch
end menupick

This script will not  work in the script window because the kanji has a
quote char in it. How can I trap for this when I can't even include it
in the script window?

>> 2. Some kanji cannot be entered into the script window. Try entering
>> 検索 kensaku or 漢字 kanji in the script window between quotes. Does it
>> work for you?
>
> You cannot put them into script, because they contain a quote.
> Did you try to use a custom property?
> Since version 1, sometimes we have used a custom property for Japanese
> words.

Yes, the quote is the problem, but you would think that you should be
able to put it into the script window. I'm not sure how a custom
property would help in this case? Do you make the script from the
custom property?

>> 3. I cannot get 色 iro  or  神 kami to work in a cascading menu. Does
>> it work for you?
>
> See attached image.
>  <menu.jpg>
> and I used the script above.

Can you make a menu with just 'iro' as an item? I could get テキスト色 to
work but not just 色.
as the head of a cascading menu. viz. with colors listed below the menu.

If I put
色
<tab>赤
<tab>白
<tab>黒

(where <tab> is actually a tab char)
into a fld and set the text of the btn to the unicodetext  of the fld,
the menu refuses to display in the menubar even though it displays okay
on the card as part of the btn group forming the menu.

On Oct 26, 2004, at 7:46 PM, Kenji Kojima wrote:

> ron,
>
>> The Edit and File menus are not friendly to localization. Meaning,
>> the last 2 items are not always deleted and moved to the proper place
>> in OS X.
>
> This OSX menubar problem occurs on version 2.5.
> Version 2.5RC2 showed the last 2 items. I tested on version 2.5RC2.
>
> The problem is not only Edit menu, but also every other menus.

Looks like there is a problem, right? I am using 2.5 version 2.6.1
build 9 revappversion 2.5. Isn't this the lastest?

Thanks again,
Ron