Are you using Rev/DC in Education?

Marty Billingsley marty at vertex.ucls.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 18 20:03:14 EDT 2004

Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 18, 2004, at 10:17 AM, Marty Billingsley wrote:
>
> > I'm using Revolution to teach beginning programming to 8th grade
> > students (US 8th grade, that is; kids are 13-14 years old).  The
> > course is a carryover from an old HyperCard course.  We miss HC's
> > sound capabilities, but are using Shakobox to compensate.
> >
> I'm looking for course material to do a similar class. Did you develop
> the material yourself or buy it? Is it available for others to use?
>
> I'm also interested in teaching a 1 hour for 4 weeks class to employees
> where I am the IT Manager.

I've been teaching the HC version of this course for ten years, and
have write-ups for those.  I've been trying to find time for a year
now to rewrite them for Rev, but haven't gotten around to it.  Maybe
by next quarter.....

The documentation I have is handout sheets for the students; I don't
use them very often, only if I have a sub or if a student wants to
forge ahead alone.  I'm thinking of writing up a complete curriculum
so that a non-cs person could still teach the important concepts.

Not much help to you, eh?  Maybe Judy's handouts would be useful.
(Judy - can I get a copy too?)

  - marty

--
Marty Billingsley (marty at ucls.uchicago.edu)
The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools