Popup Menus with Text Selection?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Oct 12 03:21:21 EDT 2004

Erik Hansen wrote:
> --- "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
> wrote:
>
>>I don't see a "focus with keyboard" option for
>>popups, but setting the
>>traversalOn from a msgbox worked great!
>

> in Edit > Preferences you can choose between
> using actual Transcript terms like
> "traversalOn" and descriptive phrases like
> "focus with keyboard".
>
> i would be more descriptive, but spilling
> some papers on my keyboard apparently caused
> some kind of a static electricity surge or
> something and turned my screen grey,
> so this is from memory.
>
> why a programer would
> NOT (choose Transcript terms)
> is a mystery.

I'm sure that when someone from RunRev can find the time to participate
in this discussion they'll be able to offer some additional background,
but it seems that adding the choice to show either native Transcript
terms or other more descriptive terms stems from a small handful of
property names that aren't particularly user-friendly.

My personal favorite is "destroyStack", which does nothing destructive
to the stack at all but merely purges it from memory.

Of course the simplest route would be to just add synonymous terms in
the engine for such properties, possibly depricating less clear
terminology for eventual removal in some future release.  In the case of
destroyStack, for example, a natural alternative would be "purgeStack".

The Rev IDE was first developed before RunRev had acquired the engine,
and making such changes to the engine was harder for them then.  But now
that they own the engine as well this would seem a logical step in the
direction of maintaining Transcript's ease of use, and hopefully steps
are being taken in that direction.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation