ask cursor

Éric Chatonet eric.chatonet at wanadoo.fr
Tue Oct 5 17:44:46 EDT 2004

Le 5 oct. 04, à 21:27, alw918 at earthlink.net a écrit :

> Hi, Eric.   Thanks so much for your response.
>>
>> I don't think that such a feature is perfectly appropriate, regarding
>> to human interface guidelines whichever of the platforms you use.
>> Unless a modifier key is pressed (a menu shortcut for instance), the
>> user don't expect a dialog box to appear ;-)
> Yeah, but I think it works for this stack.  I think you'd agree if you
> saw the stack.
>
>> But if you want this, as ask dialog is a modal window, you have to
>> modify As Dialog stack by adding (for instance)
>

>>    select after text of field id 1119
>
> So, you're suggesting to put this code in the preopenstack handler of
> some stack called "As Dialog"?
> What/where is the stack "As Dialog" ?
>> at the end of the preOpenStack handler in the main card of As Dialog
>> stack (Rev 2.x).
>> But be VERY careful when modifying an IDE stack and RESTORE it after
>> you built your standalone.
> what is an IDE stack?
> What does it mean to restore one?

Revolution is an Interface Development Environment developed on itself.
This means that the whole interface which allows you to access the
engine is made of Rev stacks.
That is powerful : you can modify your own development environment.
For instance, Ask and Answer dialogs are rev stacks (they are exactly
stacks as yours).
To be more precise, they are substacks of stack "Home" whose file name
is "license.rev" in Rev folder on the desktop.
But, PLEASE, wait to be familiarized with those notions before acting!

> What does it mean to restore one?

When you use ask and answer commands in a script, Ask and Answer
dialogs stacks are called by the engine.
If you modify these stacks for your own purposes, you will restore them
once the modified version has been included when creating a stand alone
(.app or . exe).
If you don't restore them, you will never find again standard dialogs
in the IDE, in the others stacks you will receive or create!

> Is there an easier way to solve this problem without tinkering with
> external stacks?  Can i just make all the changes within my stack?
> Thank you
> Andrew

I don't think so:
These dialogs are modal windows, ie once called, you can't do nothing
but wait :-)
All executions are blocked until the user has clicked any button.
This is the reason why you have to modify the programming of the dialog
stack itself (which is transcript handlers and functions as in your own
stacks).
If you accept a piece of advice to begin, have a look at Rev docs,
especially to "Main stacks, substacks, and the organization of a stack
file" and "Windows, palettes, and dialog boxes"; all that in the
"Topics" section.
Hope this helps.

Amicalement,

Éric Chatonet