lessons from Java, OOP

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Nov 30 17:47:37 EST 2004

On 11/30/04 4:17 PM, "Frank D. Engel, Jr." <fde101 at fjrhome.net> wrote:

> If these features are of major importance to you, why don't you write
> your programs in Java?
>
> Rev is not Java.

True, but many of Rev's strengths came from looking at other programming
languages and adopting what "fit" (for example, "start using" came from
HyperCard, frontscripts and backscripts came from SuperCard, etc.).

> They are two different languages, with two different
> programming models.  What works well for Java and what works well for
> Rev are often completely different techniques.

Agreed. Bug we already have some form of OOP and inheritance already, so
it's not unreasonable to look at whether any of Java's OOP concepts might
not help us all at some point in the future.

There was a thread a while ago about this... perhaps looking back at the
archives might help those who are interested.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com