lessons from Java, OOP

Ivers, Doug E Doug.Ivers at lord.com
Mon Nov 29 14:35:13 EST 2004

I'm finishing up my first semester of Java, and it has given me a new perspective on programming.  I suspect that some OOP concepts can be incorporated without changing the language but through programming style.

Perhaps many of the best scriptors among us implement OOP concepts (consciously or not).  For example, custom properties might be a good way to encapsulate data in a field (or other control).  The key here would be to write "get" and "set" scripts in the field script and never touch the data except by sending messages to these handlers.  If you do this, please send me tips/advice.

Let's see, what about inheritance?  There have been other threads on this.  Certainly this exists in parts of Rev (stack->bg->card->group scripts and properties).  It's up to the scriptor to take full advantage of this, and maybe we could talk about best practices, parentscripts, XOS, etc.  (BTW, have they decoupled textFont and textSize inheritance yet?)

DEIvers>