QT->MP3?

Mark Waddingham 36degrees at runrev.com
Tue Nov 30 07:55:52 EST 2004

I'd imagine one reason Apple pulled support for MP3 from the QT API was
the software patents held by Frauhoffer in several countries (including
Germany and the US). From what I understand of the situation Frauhoffer
are 'entitled' to (and enforce) a fee for every 'MP3 encoder'
distributed (whether it be for no cost or not).

Unfortunately, the legal issues surrounding the incorporation of support
for MP3 encoding/decoding in the engine are muddy at best and would
probably require many hours of a patent lawyer's time to correctly
determine.

Therefore, in general, if you require MP3 encoding/decoding support I'd
suggest using an external command-line program together with the
interprocess communication commands.

Warmest regards,

Mark.