changing defaultStack

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 29 16:56:31 EST 2004

Jan Schenkel wrote:
> --- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Here's a Transcript riddle:  I know of one
>>circumstance in which "the
>>defaultStack" will return empty -- what is it?
>>
>>Though it sounds like a koan there's a real answer,
>>and the logic makes
>>a certain sense even if it seems initially
>>counter-intuitive that
>>defaultStack should ever be empty....
>>

> I seem to recall that the topStack can be empty if
> you're displaying a combobox menu ; so I'll make a
> guess :
>   while displaying a menuStack ?

I'd forgotten about that one.  Okay, there are two. :)

The other circumstance is when you check the defaultStack from a
preOpenStack handler in the destination stack when using:

    go stack MyStack in window of this stack

Becase the originating stack has been left "defaultStack" does not refer
to it, and because the destination stack has not yet been rendered
apparently the engine regards it as not fully there.  Opening in a
separate window does not product this anomaly.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation