Encrypt Password - Decrypt same

Steve Bonham sbonham at georgiasouthern.edu
Mon Nov 29 15:36:55 EST 2004

Okay Dar & Mark,

Thx for the input.

Tell me if I'm closer to understanding-

Let's say the hidden field "password" is "Jedi2004" (I'm requiring
that passwords to be one word).

to write to the external text file I can script...
on closestack
	open file "settings.txt"
  	encrypt fld "password" using "bf-cbc" with "Danger, Will Robinson."
	write it to file "settings.txt"
	close file "settings.txt"
end closestack

This would result in some gibberish (encrypted data) being written to
the text file and this string would not be recognized as a password
if it were typed (or copied and pasted) into the ask password dialog.

Next time the standalone is opened, this script would work to
unscramble the encoded piece...
on preopenstack
	open file "settings.txt"
	read from file "settings.txt" until EOF
	put it into EncryptedPasswordFromLastSession
	decrypt EncryptedPasswordFromLastSession using "bf-cbc" with
"Danger, Will Robinson."
	put it into field "password"
	close file "settings.txt"
end preopenstack

This would result in "Jedi2004" appearing in fld "password" again?

-- and I can use any value for the pass_phrase so I could replace
"Danger, Will Robinson." with "Luke, Trust the force!" right?

Steve

Steve Bonham
Director, Faculty Technology Development Laboratory
Center for Excellence in Teaching - Georgia Southern University
Statesboro, GA 30460-8143