Most Efficient Timer?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Nov 29 14:36:24 EST 2004

Recently, Dar Scott wrote:

>> "Can you script a more efficient timer?"
>
> Here are some overhead times on my system:
>
> Time to "send in time":                                 10 ns
> Time to use an empty custom command:                    34 ns
> Time to process an _additional_ empty pending message:  21 ns
>
> The last time applies if more than one message is ready.  I'm not sure
> about this one.  It seems to be nonlinear; adding a pending message
> might increase the time 0 ns or 100 ns.
>
> It looks to me that using "send in time" is efficient.

Actually, I was referring to "efficiency" in terms of placing demands on the
system, not in the amount of time to process within Rev.  I agree that "send
is" is an efficient way to process stuff within Rev, but the surprise (for
me anyway) was that apparently using "wait x with messages" taxes the system
less than "send in".  Or does it?  Anybody at RunRev want to chime in?

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Development & Design