audio on windows not playing

C List c.list at fiberworld.nl
Thu Nov 25 17:59:21 EST 2004

It is getting stranger and weirder now.

I made small sample files of the audio file in all formats I can save to
like au, mov, avi, wav, aif. and I installed a newer version of the
media player
and in the media player I can play everything exept the aif file.

I made a little test stack so I can pick a file for the runrev player
to play.
The only file it can play is avi. Next I noticed it can play the file
as long
as it is shorter than 3 min. If the track is 3.15 min I hear no sound.
The disc light shows some activity but I hear nothing. I tried this
with the always
buffer on and off, it makes no difference.
I also tried it with another file. A cd disc track also converted to
avi, it plays aslong
as it doesn't exceed a bit over 4 min. The file I need to play is 7.20
min
The file is 16-bit Little Endian, stereo, 44,1 kHz, 16 bits. The
datarate is 172.3 K bytes/sec
I also tried to downsample the file to 22,05 kHz but more than 3 mins
it won't play.

The trouble is the audio is quite critical and compressing it to MP3
gives to many
artifacts. (unless I find a much better compressor which I am gonna try
next.
  I seem to be running out of options for the moment)

Tomorrow I will try setting the dontUseQt as first thing that happens,
as Jeffrey sugested,
at the moment a couple of other routines get called first. I hope it
makes a different but it's to weird.

best wishes
Claudi