audio on windows not playing

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu Nov 25 13:15:13 EST 2004

Claudi,

as far as i have been able to tell you are out of luck with playing
external wav files w/o Quicktime on the PC. I tried 9 ways to tuesday
to do this a few months back. Documentation in Metacard and Rev both
allude to being able to do this w/o quicktime, but it just doesnt. I
was interested to see that Scott suggested trying MP3 format, I didnt
try that figuring that if it didnt play an Wav format file (much more
older standard format) it wasnt going to do anything. now i'm heartened
to try mp3 files on non qt windoz to see if that works. let us know if
it does!

some warnings about testing with the dontuseqt set to true on the pc.
first make sure you call it first thing in your preopenstack handler.
if a player is called/delt with before that qt will be loaded. even
with qt turned off this way i have had it pop back on while fiddling
around in a stack trying things. you get that moment of great elation
that you have fixed the problem, then discover that the contrller bar
is now active and this indicates that quicktime is back on again...
(followed by a long sound of a balloon slowly being deflated...). it is
safest to just deinstall quicktime on the pc you are working on to make
sure its behaving like a computer w/o qt. lucky the deinstall/reinstall
of qt has gone flawlessly several times on my xp development system
(kudos to apple for a hardy windows install/deinstall).

one other little windows audio gotcha (that Jacqueline solved for me,
thanks again!) is that you can get some strange playback behaviors on
windows (with qt) if the player being played is hidden. make it visible
and set its loc to off screen and these go away. this doesn't happen on
the mac, windows only, but the fix works fine on the mac.

Jeffrey Reynolds
6620 Michaels Dr
Bethesda, MD  20817
301.469.8562
jeff at siphonophore.com

On Nov 25, 2004, at 4:44 AM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> Subject: audio on windows not playing
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com
>
> Hi list
>
> I am in quite a fix. I am trying to get an audio file to play on
> windows.
> I am busy with this already for well about 10 hours to no avail. On my
> mac it's no
> problem at all but on the windows box (windows 2000 profesional)
> I can't get the file to play. I have both an aif and a wav file and
> neither will
> play with runrev. The aif file won't play in the windows media player

snip...