Reading a (BIG) text file one line at a time

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Thu Nov 25 10:13:08 EST 2004

>------------------------------
>
>Message: 6
>Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:10:21 -0800
>From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
>Subject: Re: Reading a (BIG) text file one line at a time
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Kevin Miller wrote:
>>  I know that old-timers are used to writing scripts and this works great, but
>>  if you are a new Revolution user and want controls to lay out automatically
>>  as a window resizes, the Geometry Manager should be your first port of call.
>>  You're not dependent on it, its not your only option, but it does work very
>>  well and is simple and straightforward for 90% of the layout work you may
>>  need to do.
>
>Well said.
>
>My tips on writing resizeStack handlers directly are for the other 10%. :)
>
>Both are good.  Transcript is fun to use.

Richard et. al.,

Transcript is indeed fun to use. Speaking of that fun put me in mind
of something another Richard, Richard Feynman, said about
computers--see below. These remarks were made about his time working
at Los Alamos on the Manhattan Project. At the time there were using
very early model IBM, card-reading, computers to solve complex
mathematical problems related to creating an explosive, chain,
fission reaction--i.e. bomb.

"Well, Mr. Frankle started this problem and began to suffer from a
disease, the computer disease, that anybody who works with computers
now knows about. It's a very  serious  disease and it interferes
completely with the work. It was a serious problem that we were
trying to do. The disease with computers is you play with them. They
are so wonderful. You have these x switches that determine if it's an
even number you do this, it it's an odd number you do that, and
pretty soon you  can do more and more elaborate things if you are
clever enough...[Here Feynman speaks of getting sidetrack pursing
issues not related to their calculational needs, for example working
out the arctangent function when they already had tables for the
function.]...But if you ever worked with computers you understand the
disease. The delight to be able to see how much you can do. But he
[Frankle] got the disease for the first time, the poor fellow who
invented the thing got the disease."

There are worse diseases., worse narcotic addictions than programming.

Jim