audio on windows not playing

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Thu Nov 25 04:26:59 EST 2004

Dag Claudi

> Hi Troy,
>
> Yes I try to play it in a player object. I also tried to play it with
> the
> play "user/thisFolder/myaudioFile" command, which will sort of play
> the audio
> though it will produce also the strangest cracking and distortion
> which is
> absolutly unusable.
>
> It is also strange I have the controls set to showing and on the mac I
> see them
> alright but on windows I don't see them at all. The player is just a
> rectangle with no controls
> or the like.

The "controller bar" is a QuickTime only feature, you get nothing on
windoze, obviously :-)

> I wil now try importing the file (75 Mb) and see if play audioclip
> will work.

Please don't!

That will result in the same hellish noise as the "play ac ..." command
and indicates that
that file is a compressed wav file...

Can you open that file in QuickTime Player and check the information
about the fileformat?
Maybe then we could see a bit clearer...

If nothing helps, try to convert that file to e.g. MP3 format, which
should be playable inside
a player even on windoze without QT...

> Still hoping to find a solution
>
> best wishes
> Claudi

Klaus Major
klaus at major-k.de
http://www.major-k.de

P.S.
"player objects" versus "play ac...":
Player objects... that use QT, which although much slower and more
memory intensive can
play many more formats than the default play command which uses
low-level
sound routines in Win32 and MacOS which don't support compression.

Posted 9/2/2002 by Scott Raney to the MetaCard List