Newbie question about image/button relationships

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Mon Nov 22 15:07:14 EST 2004

Recently, Judy Perry  wrote:

>>> In perhaps a more 'brain-friendly' fashion, simply create a number of
>>> buttons whose type is "transparent" -- these will respond just fine to
>>> mouse events.

>> Also remember it is not necessary to use buttons at all.  You can import
>> images separately and script each image object as needed.  One benefit with
>> this method (depending on the application) is that transparent regions in
>> the images will not respond to mouse events.

> I understand that, but if the person's not a programmer, there's little
> harm to using transparent buttons (especially if we're talking about 0-9
> plus a couple of phone feature buttons).

Judy, nowhere did I imply there was any "harm" in using one method over
another.  Apologies if you felt I was belittling your solution -- my
intention was to simply to provide an alternate method.

> This individual is perhaps familiar with such things, but I guarantee you
> that if you take somebody who just wants to pull together some quickie
> simulation or app and who doesn't want to sit down and learn about setting
> 'ink = noop' and figuring out coords, buttons are probably the easiest
> conceptually to use (especially inasmuch as in this case they are mimicing
> actual buttons).

The great thing about Rev is that, in many cases, there are multiple ways to
solve a problem.  I, for one, am always eager to hear about the various
techniques folks use to tackle their projects.  Even after years of use, I
am still learning different programming techniques.  I believe there is
value in sharing these varied strategies, and would venture that offering
several options to solve a problem is just as valid as trying to determine
what is best for new users' situations.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director