set selectedText?

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Nov 18 17:26:54 EST 2004

>While we are on this topic, why is it that I can say:
>
>put selectedLine of the target into temp
>delete temp
>
>but not
>
>delete selectedLine of the target
>
>What is the fundamental point I am missing?
>--
>
>Kaveh Bazargan

Well, er, let's see ...

The target will presumably be whatever you just clicked.

Suppose the target is an object that has lines (eg a field) and clicking on
it results in your first script executing , then temp would contain a
string of the form : "line n of field x"

so in the first example, the second line evaluates to:

delete line n of field x

which is OK syntax

However in the second example, if the target is field x, then the statment
would be

delete line n of field x of the target

Or: delete line n of field x of field x

Field x can't be the owner of field x. To be the owner of field x, the
target would have to be a card or a group or a stack.

But if the script ran because you clicked the card for instance, the
statement would mean:

delete selectedline of card n

cards don't have selectedlines so selectedline so I would expect an error:

===

Having said all that, I can't actually remember the last time I used "the
target" for anything, it's not part of my scripting style, trying to answer
your question has maybe reminded me why :-)

====

Does that help ?

Martin Baxter