Image Format Use... Was: export snapshot

Claus Dreischer claus at dreischer.de
Sun Nov 7 08:38:34 EST 2004

At 10:32 Uhr -0400 07.11.2004, Jim Carwardine wrote:
>This begs the question in my mind as to the universal usefulness of either
>png or jpeg.  Is one better than another universally or is there a more
>appropriate situation to use one or the other?
>
>Jim

Jim,

PNG is a lossles format.
So if you have a black/white logo, a screenshot, etc. this is the
format to use.

JPG is a lossy format, means it saves diskspace by not reproducing
the EXACT original image.
Use it when you have photos and other full color graphics.

Hope this short comparison was understandable.

Regards,
	Claus.