FileFormat for uploading/downloading OS X apps

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Thu Nov 4 19:17:07 EST 2004

On Nov 4, 2004, at 5:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Frank Engel <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
> Subject: Re: FileFormat for uploading/downloading OS X apps
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
> Another point is that OS X apps are *NOT* files -- they are "Bundles",
> which are actually folders disguised as files.  If you try to treat the
> app as a file you are likely to run into problems with transfers like
> this.  You need some kind of archive mechanism to be able to transfer
> the entire application as a folder, not as a file.  That is why
> something like Stuffit is needed.
>
> Another idea is to place the app into a disk image (a .dmg file) using
> Apple's Disk Utility.
>
> Assuming you have OS X.3:

And if you're trying to create an installer image, I highly recommend
Monty's InstallerGadget.

http://www.sweattechnologies.com/InstallGadget/

It makes creating Mac and Windows installers a snap!

-- Frank

Web Photos Pro: Software for Photo Bloggers and Other Photo Power Users
See us on the web at http://www.webphotospro.com/