OS X app compress/decompress solved

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 22:58:03 EST 2004

I did some poking around on the web for Mac OS X unix calls that do
compression/decompression while preserving the resource-fork, and it appears that the
"ditto" command does the trick.

to compress before uploading to the web:
% ditto -c -X   -z --rsrc some_folder some_folder.cpio

To decompress, after downloading from the web:
% ditto -c -X   -z --rsrc some_folder some_folder.cpio

There's a whole article dedicated to this issue, found at:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031118111144197

My only concern is that I'm not sure if this works in all versions of Mac OS
X (10.2 and up).   It's working great for me in 10.3.   I'm able to make these
calls from Rev using the shell() command.

- Rob