FileType in Mac OSX

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Tue Nov 2 13:33:38 EST 2004

Yves,

originally MacOS relied on Type/Creator codes to "mark" their files,
for example TextEdit files would have type TEXT and
who-cares-about-the-creator-code, you'd use ResEdit to change/fiddle
with type/creator of a file. Like:

  answer file (field "Prompt") of type "TEXT"

this would answer all TEXT files, not only textedit ones... I don't
know about apercu, but, you can pick a file and inspect it's resource
fork to see type/creator codes... there's a lot of info out there on
the web about it. Since MacOS X, I think the whole resource fork
metadata is now mixed with file extensions and the like, but it should
hold true.

cheers
andre

On Nov 2, 2004, at 4:07 PM, Yves COPPE wrote:

> Hi list and French users,
>

> for Mac OSX, which are the filetype of
>
> "textEdit"
> and
> "Apercu" (I don't know the name of the soft in English, sorry !)
>

> so I can use in script :
>
> set the fileType to ""
>
> Thanks.
>
> Greetings.