ANN: New tool for RunRev development

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Nov 2 08:39:59 EST 2004

Na Klaus,

> Bon jour Monsieur X,
>
> > sorry, I test the downloads before submitting them. I know it works.
>
> ...on your machine, with your browser ;-)

Actually, 2 different machines, 2 different networks, 2 different OSs.
Tested with IE and Avantbrowser. Tested via a test link in the download
entry page and again via the public link. Then tested via RunRev on the
direct link to make sure it was copied correctly (you wouldn't believe
my bad luck if I dont test something)...

> > It works in the discrete browser like you mention too because it is
> > not set to recognize a file from a html page. This seems
> like a MIME
> > problem on your browser. Sorry. Can't help you there.
>
> Please c'mon, until:
>
>    go stack
> url"http://monsieurx.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=getit&lid=69"
>
> doesn't return "no such card", you could be so kind and
> supply at least a ZIP-ped version (or even GZ-ipped :-) of
> that stack on your page...

I could zip it but then you couldn't open it directly. Someone did manage
to open it directly via the url so I guess it is possible. I tried every
url binfile command combos and couldn't either!

But, like me, you can do a right-click->save link as... and then open it
directly in runrev from the HD without unzipping which is how most other
web sites have done. Either way, it doesn't change the normal download
process, avoids the decompression and may work if you try via RR... And
if it does, you have to save it again anyway! Where's the shortcut? ;))

RevOnline requires me to click some 50 times before it starts to DL the
stack, there is no stats, no comments, so not practical, maybe when RO
matures...

Is this satisfactory? I guess not, im not pleased with it either. So why
keep the downloads this way? 1 PHPNuke is my web CMS and im not ready to
give it up until XOS runs over PHP (not soon). PHPNuke provides me and
you the top ten, version, size, notes, user comments, stories, and
popularity stats (ie # of downloads). Revonline or a simple url (and a
parse of weblogs) doesn't. Last but not least, im
not happy at all with the feedback I get from this list, so the number
of downloads is all I got to see whether a stack is usefull or not.

Im not about to change the benefits of PHPNuke unless I completely
stop devoting 25% of my free time to sharing free stuff over my free
website. If you browser doesn't recognize the "rev" file type (like
it does for htm, html, xml, txt, css, js, etc... then seriously,
consider changing browser, complaining to MacSupport or fniding out why
it doesn't (In MS exploiter, it asks you what you want to do with that
file type and what program should open it,  surely safary asks what
bullets
to use to kill a bull or an elephant no? ;)

cheers
Xavier

> Thank you very much!

> >> The link below loads text into my Safari browser.

> Regards
>
> Klaus Major
> klaus at major-k.de
> http://www.major-k.de

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER