Application Icons in Mac classic

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sat May 29 06:47:34 EDT 2004

--- Graham Samuel <livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> I haven't been following this conversation, but does
> this mean that I can't
> offer an installation process to a user of Classic
> mode without telling the
> user to rebuild the desktop? Can I appleScript it so
> as to avoid getting
> the user to do this step (I still know nothing about
> AS, to my shame)?
>
> TIA
>
> Graham

No you don't have to tell the uer to rebuild the
desktop ; when you copy a file from a different volume
onto your hard disk, or use an installer program, the
desktop database is automatically updated.
If all the bits have been properly set and all icons
are present, the problem is merely that creating a new
standalone doesn't tell the Finder to update the
desktop.
And before anyone claims this is a bug, no other IDE I
know of does this ; but if you want to Bugzilla it, go
on ahead and have Monte give it his best shot.

Jan Schenkel.

=====