Application Icons in Mac classic

Martin Baxter martin at materiaprima.fsnet.co.uk
Sat May 29 06:10:10 EDT 2004

>I haven't been following this conversation, but does this mean that I can't
>offer an installation process to a user of Classic mode without telling the
>user to rebuild the desktop? Can I appleScript it so as to avoid getting
>the user to do this step (I still know nothing about AS, to my shame)?
>
>TIA
>
>Graham

Graham,

You shouldn't have to worry about this. Your user's Finder won't have any
record of your application's creator code, and will therefore look inside
your application's resource fork for the BNDL and FREF resources and add
this data to its (invisible) database.

On a development machine OTOH, your Finder typically knows about your files
and application before you have got around to assigning application icon
resources to it/them, hence the need 'force' it to update its database by
rebuilding the desktop.

HTH

Martin