Application Icons in Mac classic

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat May 29 05:47:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, 28 May 2004 10:44:25 -0700, Mark Brownell <gizmotron at earthlink.net>
wrote:

>No need to do all this. I have it working now. The trick is to assign
>an Icon at the time of building your standalone Mac Classic app, then
>open that app in ResEdit.
>
>1.) Find the item "RSTK" and delete it.
>
>2.) Change both 128 & 129 Icons to the ones you want.
>
>3.) Open the "FREF" item.
>
>4.) Click on 128.
>     a.) it should read File Type "APPL"
>     b.) Icon Local ID = "0"
>
>5.) Click on 129.
>     a.) if it reads File Type "RSTK"
>     b.) change it to read File Type "Your four letter code here"
>     c.) Icon Local ID = "1"
>
>6.) Click on 130.
>     a.) it should read File Type "Your four letter code here"
>     b.) Icon Local ID = "0"
>     c.) change this to Icon Local ID = "1"
>
>7.) Rebuild the desktop.
>
>Note: Local ID = "0" is the app (128)
>        Local ID = "1" is your files (129)

I haven't been following this conversation, but does this mean that I can't
offer an installation process to a user of Classic mode without telling the
user to rebuild the desktop? Can I appleScript it so as to avoid getting
the user to do this step (I still know nothing about AS, to my shame)?

TIA

Graham