IDE Interference (not just a another rant)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri May 28 14:54:45 EDT 2004

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

 >>>Should the suspendstack be sent to the stack each time you edit an
 >>>object causing a save? One missing feature (no blame anywhere) is
 >>>the function stackwaschangedsincelastsave()=true|false... The other
 >>>is that the suspendstack should be ignored while in the GUI design
 >>>mode of RR...
 >
 >>Yes, of course it should be sent. That's how the message is defined.
 >>Nobody said to put a save handler in there!
 >
 > You didn't get my point. But if I want a suspendstack event, it's my
 > business to have one as it is a feature.

Of course it's your own business, but if you choose a message that works
exactly as described and you don't like the results, the options are to
either choose a different message or write your own engine that
implements a message how you would like it to behave.

 > The point is that when you are in an IDE, the IDE messaging should
 > NOT interfere with your applications' events. When I choose a
 > different tool, go to the message or to set an object's properties
 > via the pallete, I am NOT leaving my application... In RR's case,
 > it is...

It seems the problem is not with the message but with your understanding
of the message.  SuspendStack is different than suspend, which would fit
the description you give.

 > This was not an issue in HC. THIS means that when you use suspend
 > or other stack messages which may be interfered by RR's development
 > stacks, you have to add a check level to make sure you are not in
 > a rev palette or something...

The difference here is best explained as a limitation of HC than in Rev:
  in HC palettes are not native windows, so however desirable it might
be to have the same sorts of messages normally sent to windows being
sent to palettes as well, since those are compiled resources in HC and
use a very different mechanism they are out of the normal event loop.

In Rev, all windows are natively implemented, allowing you to use the
same scripting to handle them as you would for any other window of any
type.  This includes the handling of a suspendStack message.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation