Performance Testing of Rev CGI?

Richard K. Herz herz at ucsd.edu
Wed May 26 13:29:02 EDT 2004

Dan Shafer asked:
>Are there any other limitations of using Rev engines as CGI
>environments that you've encountered that i should know about?

In a bubbling first attempt at doing chat, I used posts to Rev CGI on a
shared Linux server at a commercial web host.  It worked well but the host
shut it down because of "too big a load on the server."  My understanding is
that each CGI post starts up a new instance of the Rev engine, producing the
excessive load in my case.  It seems that Rev CGI on a shared server is good
for things that don't produce a lot of simultaneous posts, like web forms.
It appears the way to do chat is to open one Rev CGI engine instance which
runs continuously and communicates with multiple clients over sockets,
though I haven't tested it with a a lot of users yet.

Rich Herz