Catastrophic effect of a corrupt image

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 21 17:42:38 EDT 2004

Just in case this happens to other listers, I thought I'd mention that I
have had a problem with one of my apps for a very long time, in that
although it runs on Macs and on PCs with XP (and probably 2000 and NT), it
won't run on PCs with Windows 98 or ME (there are plenty of these still
around). The program halts while starting up, either with an illegal
instruction or a resource crisis.

This problem has just been **solved** for me by the RunRev support team,
and the cause was a corrupt image file (originally a GIF), which was still
displaying correctly in some OSs, but caused a crash in the others. I had
no way of detecting this myself (since it was just one of a hundred or so
images, all of which looked fine in my own test environment - and I have no
understanding of the innards of either Windows or the RunRev engine), but
if ever the same symptoms crop up, I'll know what to look for. I have been
advised that PNGs are 'safer' than GIFs, so in future I guess I will be
using more of them.

HTH someone now or in the future

Graham