QuickTime capabilities question

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Fri May 21 17:22:27 EDT 2004

On Thu, 20 May 2004 21:57:38 -0700, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:

>Graham Samuel <graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> > I found out that you can't force
> > Windows users to install QT, but that's
> > another story...
>
>Of course you can't force anyone to install anything, but if the
>benefits are compelling enough it's not hard to get users to choose to
>install QT, and even easier if you get the free license from Apple to
>include the QT installer on your product's CD.  With the HyperRESEARCH
>product I make for ResearchWare we haven't had a single complaint from
>Win users about installing QT; given the wide range of formats it allows
>our product to support they're often glad we use it.
>
>But of course acceptance will depend on the market the software
>addresses.  What sort of audience are you finding resistance to QT in?

UK Schools - very few have the time or inclination to go through more than
the minimum installation process, especially for a relatively inexpensive
product. Of course here and there, there are highly IT-literate schools or
proper IT departments who would be responsible for the installation work
and for the policy decision to install QT, perhaps centrally, but you can't
count on it. This is the advice I get from my publisher who is in touch
with literally thousands of state (=publicly funded) schools in the UK. A
further insight is that these teachers are so hard-pressed that apart from
the relative few who take a direct interest in computers, they will seldom
feel able to take the time to understand any intricate functionality in a
PC application, even if an investment of understanding would in the end
lead to a reduction in time and effort. It's a tough world out there.

Of course YMMV

Graham