CGI engines for Linux - solved

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat May 15 01:35:35 EDT 2004

On 5/14/04 7:48 PM, Alejandro Tejada wrote:

> Thanks to this mail list archive, i found this message
> posted by Richard MacLemale:
>
> <http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/metacard/2004-February/006847.html>
> "Once you drag the rev executable to the /usr/bin
> folder, you need to give it
> the ability to run.  In the command line, type
>
> sudo chmod 555 /usr/bin/rev"
>
> And this works!!!

That's good to know. I'd like to revise my tutorial to mention this. I
just tried setting permissions for the engine in my own /cgi/ folder to
555 and it works just as well as 755.

So the question is: should the directions in the tutorial just tell
people to use 555, or should it say to try both and see which one works?

Chomd 555 removes the ability to write to the engine, but that's not
possible anyway even with 755 (except by the owner.) The only difference
practically speaking is that maybe some setups require 555.

Anyone have a suggestion on the best explanation for the tutorial?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com