Has anybody found RunRev under Windows 2000 to be a bit flaky?

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue May 11 12:45:27 EDT 2004

> Hello All,

Hello Dermot
Welcome to RR

> I'm running an evaluation copy of RunRev 2.2 under Windows 2000.
> Apart from
> being very impressed by the package I've also noticed some flaky
> behaviour.

flaky is fuzzy, software quality is fuzzy, RR is of great quality
but it has its flukes just like MS office and surely not as many!!!

> 1. I've had the application spontaneously fail during edit sessions.  A
> logfile was going to be generated but I can't find it.  One particular
> example of this involved copying text from an external
> application into the script editor.

the log file is located here
../Revolution/components/save/sessionlog.txt
The obvious flakiness is that it is automatically erased if you
reopen RR. So dont forget to retrieve it

(a simple DOS batch or AS applet to copy it and then launch RR
would be a solution until the developper finds the file appending function
;)
There's no date stamps in the file either so rename it with the last
modif date to remember before moving the file!

I'll post a log keeping agent stack very soon meanwhile...

> 2. Indentation in the script editor is sometimes impossible to
> get right!

I dont like it either but i hope they soon repair the plug-in event
mechanism so I can run my own!

> 3. Switching from browse to edit doesn't always allow me to run test the
> application correctly.  Instead I have to generate the stand-alone
> application and test that.  The small application that I had written was
> copying in to the Windows clipboard and only did so when I ran the
> stand-alone application.

Your stack, not RR. I use daily a clipboard agent and have no problems!

> 4. I've found that once I had set the stack property "resizable"
> on and off
> a few times it was no longer possible to resize the mainstack using the
> mouse.

uh? make sure you can repeat these reality bending experiences ;)

> 5. Changing text format properties for a group of labels did not seem to
> work!  Only the first label changed visually.  The properties of all the
> other labels changed in the inspector panel but did not change on the gui.

Properties of objects and of text inside may be set separately (inheritance
broken bug I guess ;) set the text[font|size|color] of fld x to
"arial|9|red"

> I'm not sure if some of these problems are caused by my particular Windows
> 2000 configuration.  I'm hoping that somebody can give me enough
> information
> in order to determine whether or not I should be looking at my
> own setup and not RunRev!

I run RR on 2000, 2003 no probs (sort of ;) but it runs fine.
Some compromises may be required as a trade of for the coolest IDE out
there!

> Strangely enough the OS X version that I'm evaluating appears (so far) to
> behave much, much better!

Now Im jealous!

> Any comments suggestions to any of the above would be very welcome!

voila!